Our School Council is committed to enriching our children’s educational community and maintaining their enthusiasm as life-long learners.
Our School Council
An active school council meets every second month (the last Thursday of the month at 7:15 pm) to discuss school programs, school policy, current educational issues and ways to enhance the educational endeavors of the school. ALL parents are members of the School Council and are encouraged to be part of this advisory board.
2018/2019 School Council Executive
Chairperson - Angela Wymann-Richter
Vice-Chair - Michelle Huston
Secretary - Tracy Duckett
Treasurer - Christina Rice
Directors - Karri-Ann Flater, Jessie Wiart, Michelle Barefoot, Danielle Gouchie, Bonnie Newman
Hot Lunches - Angela Wymann Richter, Veronica Whitbread, Jill Kohlman
Milk - Kim Willington
École James S. McCormick School Council Minutes
September 27, 2018
Present: Michelle Barefoot Bonnie Newman Karri-Ann Flater
Danielle Gouchie Tracy Duckett Christine Graves Tracy Somers Brown
Christina Rice Veronica Whitbread Jessie Wiart Angela Wymann Richter
- The meeting was called to order at 7:17.
- Everyone introduced themselves.
- Veronica moved acceptance of the agenda as amended.
- Michelle Barefoot moved acceptance of the minutes of May 2108.
- Selection/Election of Executive
- Chairperson - Angela Wymann Richter
- Vice-Chair - Michelle Huston
- Secretary - Tracy Duckett
- Treasurer - Christina Rice
- Directors - Karri-Ann Flater, Jessie Wiart, Michelle Barefoot, Danielle Gouchie, Bonnie Newman
- Hot Lunches - Angela Wymann Richter, Veronica Whitbread, Jill Kohlman
- Milk - Kim Willington
- School Board Trustee - No trustee was present.
- Staff Report
- Outdoor Classroom - Christine reported on the partnership with Bowden Institution. The shed was put in place over the summer, as was the fence and sod for the tipi. A tipi is being put in place tomorrow; there will be a ceremony in the afternoon in honour of the tipi. A door was built over the summer from the learning commons to the outdoor classroom. A gazebo, picnic tables, and playhouses are being built over the course of year. Some landscaping was done over the summer as well and more is anticipated next spring. A new birdhouse will be put up in the spring. A sandbox is also planned for the space. Fundraising may be required to help with the building projects.
- Family Nights - Tracy reported there is a plan to have more family nights this year. This will include a family maker space night to introduce parents/guardians to the renovated learning commons and the outdoor classroom.
- Trickster Theatre - Tracy Duckett reported the school received the Trickster Theatre grant again this year. The event takes place the last week of May. The grant covers 75% of the total cost which is approximately $25,000 plus taxes. The school has not decided whether to charge per student to supplement the cost.
- Numbers - Tracy reported the school population has gone up this year.
- Family Dance - Tracy Somers Brown reported the school’s Healthy Living Team is hosting a family dance the evening of October 25th. The them is “Glow”.
- Fundraising - Angela explained the typical fundraisers held through the year. She asked everyone to keep fundraising ideas in mind.
- New Business
- Budget -
- Angela said the council has provided meals for the staff at parent teacher interviews over the years, and asked about providing meals for interviews/portfolio walks this year. The council will provide lasagne one night next week, and ask parents/guardians to contribute salads and desserts.
- Trickster Theatre - Angela reminded everyone that last May it was agreed that $7000.00 would be contributed to supplementing the cost.
- Classroom Supply Fund - Typically each class/program in the school receives $100.00.
- Year End Swims - This has been booked already and is usually paid by the council.
- Assembly Performances - In the past, the council has paid for occasional fine arts performances.
- Mathology - Christine explained this resource is available in French and English for grades one and two, and eventually kindergarten and grade three. Each grade gets little books that combine math and literacy and a kit with learning activities. Last year a donation was made to the school by a community organization to purchase a set of books for one grade. The council was asked in May to consider purchasing more of the components for each grade level.
- We made about $17,000 last $3471.31 is currently in the account.
- Christine requested the council cover the cost of some of the summer’s landscaping materials for the outdoor classroom. Michelle moved payment of $246.53. Christina seconded. Carried.
- Timeline -
- Angela shared a timeline of main events to consider over the course of the year.
- The next meeting was scheduled for October 25th, but that is the night of the Family Dance. The meeting has been rescheduled for October 18th.
- New Treasurer and Banking - Christina Rice will be the new treasurer. A second person needs to sign each cheque. Julie Munro, Kim Willington and Pamela Newman will be removed as signatories. Karri-Ann moved acceptance of the following people as co-signers: Michelle Huston, Jessie Wiart, Bonnie Newman
- Bonnie moved adjournment at 8:20.
Next Meeting: October 18th @ 7:15pm