Posted on April 18th, 2018
Dear Parent(s)/ Guardian(s),
Are you the parent(s)/guardian(s) of a child ages 4 to 6 (or somewhat older) who might have a “wee worry” habit? If so, this program may be for you. Lacombe Mental Health Center, in conjunction with Lacombe Parent Link, are excited to offer Worry Taming Strategies for Parent(s)/Guardian(s) of “Wee Worriers”.
This program consists of four sessions from 9:30am to11:30am that will be held at Lacombe Parent Link (located in the LMC) – childcare will be provided by Parent Link: spaces limited. Dates of the sessions are Tuesday May 8, 15, 22 and 29, 2018. Session topics will include:
*Session One: Just the Facts, Jack
- Information on normal development in this age group
- How come a child may have worries, what are normal worries for this age and when do they become a concern
- Discussion of general worry taming strategies
*Session Two: Name it, Tame it
- Information on available resources
- Worry taming strategies continued: externalizing worry/worry scales etc
*Session Three: Relax!!
- The physiological response of worry
- The importance of breathing in worry taming
- Relaxation and visualization strategies
*Session Four: Something Stinks!!
- Introduction to cognitive distortions (stinkin thinkin) and strategies
- Looking at worry ‘tricks’
- Thought stopping
For further information and to register please contact Lacombe Mental Health, Norene Gillespie, 403-782-3413. Registration deadline is Wednesday May 2, 2018. Minimum of four participants.
PLEASE NOTE: Parents/Guardians must register with Mental Health first prior to connecting with Parent Link.
Norene S. Gillespie BSW RSW MSc (Lacombe Children’s MH Therapist/Liaison)
Carolyn McLaren (Parent Link Coordinator)